The Nigerian police has confirmed the arrest of former presidential aide, Okoi Obono-Obla, on allegations of forgery and fraudulent acquisition of admission, professional qualifications, and entry into the legal profession.
The police however denied claims of abduction, insisting that the arrest was in accordance with the law and due process.
In a statement on Thursday, the police spokesperson of Cross Rivers command, Eitokpah Sunday, said the arrest followed a petition submitted to the commissioner of police, and that the police acted accordingly.
“The Cross River State Police Command wishes to address misleading reports circulating on social media alleging that Mr Obono-Obla was kidnapped or taken by unknown persons in Ugep, Yakurr Local Government Area,” the statement read.
“The command states unequivocally that Mr Obono-Obla was lawfully arrested by police operatives on 19 February 2026, at about midday along Abuja Park, Ugep, pursuant to a petition submitted to the Commissioner of Police alleging offences bordering on forgery and obtaining admission or professional qualification/entry into the legal profession by false pretence,” it added.
According to the police, the arrest was in line with extant laws and within the force’s constitutional and statutory powers to investigate allegations of criminal conduct.
The police said his legal counsel has been notified and is participating in the process, while his relatives are aware of his whereabouts.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the command categorically states that allegations of kidnapping or involvement of unidentified security outfits are false, unfounded, and entirely without factual basis,” the statement said.
The police urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified information that could incite anxiety or undermine public peace.
Obono-Obla, a former Senior Special Assistant to former President Muhammadu Buhari, chaired the Special Presidential Investigation Panel on the Recovery of Public Property, and has previously faced legal and administrative scrutiny.
In 2019, his office was sealed after he was accused of fraud, abuse of office and certificate irregularities.
In 2021, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) arraigned Mr Obono-Obla before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court, Apo, Abuja, over alleged certificate forgery and N19.9 million fraud.
The anti-graft agency accused him of falsifying academic records and making false statements to secure admission and professional standing, as well as allegedly diverting public funds.





































